March 27, 2011

The Original Table Leg Dragonflies with Ceiling Fan Blade Wings

Update as of Spring 2016, I'm no longer making the dragonflies.
I sincerely appreciate all the past orders, thank you!
Please visit my new online shop featuring my coastal and 
nature themed mosaics. 
This post has been crazy popular over the internet, and these are the originals!
I started creating dragonflies using spindles or table legs for the bodies in 2009. When I 
first started making them, I would create a wing shape out of wire just like
in the dragonfly with beaded wings tutorial and then cover the wire shape
with canvas fabric that I had painted in fun patterns and designs.
The addition of ceiling fan blades for the wings was my latest idea in 2011.

table legs and spindles for dragonfly bodies
The bodies of the dragonflies are table/furniture legs and spindles

dragonfly wings with scrolled design made with rotozip
For some of the wings in this batch instead of fan blades I used thin plywood, 
called Luan or underlayment. I cut the wing shape with a jigsaw
then used the Rotozip saw to cut the scroll design.

thrift store ceiling fan blades for dragonflies
When I came upon this box of ceiling fan blades at the thrift store,
I saw dragonfly wings!

table leg dragonfly with ceiling fan blade wings
I cut most of the ceiling fan blades down into more of a wing shape.
To make it easy, I clamped 4 blades together at a time and used the jigsaw to make the cut.

ceiling fan blade dragonfly wing
I primed them and painted with various distressed finishes and added a little 
dimension by gluing other wooden pieces and parts on the wings.

back view table leg dragonfly wings from ceiling fan
Here is a back view that shows how I attach the wings. You will need 2
screws per wing to keep them from shifting. Be sure to drill pilot holes through 
both the wings and the spindle body before screwing them in or you risk splitting.

Since all the table legs and spindles are different, you sometimes have to play around
a little with placement of the wings in order to get the most surface area to screw into.

I added finials to the ends of some of the table legs, 
this was a single ottoman leg I had...I knew I was saving it for some reason.

ceiling fan blade dragonfly wings
I used scraps of decorative molding on other wings.

table leg dragonfly
The patina on this spindle is perfect,
I left it as is and tried to match the wings to it with paint

table leg dragonflies
These two I did a little differently

macrame beads on dragonfly body
I used giant wooden macrame beads you always see at 
thrift stores to create a zig zag pattern on the front of
this table leg and gave the whole piece an antiqued turquoise finish.

paint finish using your fingertips
For the wings I used thinned paint and my fingertips to create the pattern

tortoise shell paint finish using fingertips
Pictures don't really do it justice, it looks pretty cool in person!

table leg dragonfly
The eyes are little metal pieces from the back of brass knobs I had and
the antenna are metal hooks.

table leg dragonfly antenna mixed media
These antenna are rusted wire that I curled on the ends...

These large whimsical antenna are made from copper metal plumbing strap. 

Please, no more emails to me to let me know dragonflies only have tiny, barely noticeable
antenna and not the large antenna like I use. Since these are not actual representations of 
dragonflies but whimsical, art creations, I added big crazy antenna to some of them! 😊

original table leg dragonflies
Did you know dragonflies are the symbol of renewal?
It's actually a perfect fit using recycled materials to create them.

table leg dragonfly garden art
There is a lovely story called Waterbugs and Dragonflies by 
Doris Stickney that tells the story of dragonflies and rebirth.
I've lost count of the emails I've gotten from people telling me how
dragonflies have such a special meaning to them and their loved ones. 
They truly are symbol of rebirth and renewal!

repurposed recycled table leg dragonflies by lucy designs
Hang indoors or out, I seal with liquid Minwax Polycrylic
Keep in mind they are painted wood and they are going to weather, and
could start looking dull like any painted wood if left outside. 
The finish will last longer if displayed in covered area outdoors like a porch or patio.

If you want them in direct weather and want to prolong the painted finish, 
you can always re-coat with a spray of clear poly about once a year.

Visit my online store featuring mosaic art and coastal style ornaments. 
Find me on FacebookPinterest, InstagramYoutube
Thanks for reading!
~Lucy

82 comments:

  1. What a great idea! First time viewer. I too ruffled through a box of wooden bits a couple weekends ago at an estate auction! Ending up bidding and got them! Lots of fun, choosing what to create. I made a welcome sign which was in last weeks DIY link up. These dragonflies are just beautiful and I love all the extra bits! Just perfect. Yvette x
    http://yvettesblogs.com/2011/03/28/salted-eggs-easter-tutorial/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love, love, love, this idea! It is sooo great! Thanks for sharing it! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so great. Love the idea of using all the pieces to make such a wonderful project. TFS
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love these, but I want to hang them on my privacy fence just like you did. What would you recommend spraying them with so that they could be in the weather?

    Miranda
    www.justdrinkacoke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, BTW, I'm going to feature these on my blog today! I want everybody in my bloggy world to see them, too! :)

    Miranda
    www.justdrinkacoke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! you are one talented girl. I love these dragonflies,,especially the one with fan blade wings and the one you painted with your fingertip. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely adorable!! I LOVE them!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. what delightful backyard art! You are very clever to make use of other surplus material in such a creative way and I like how you have accessorized them with other bits of hardware too. I've never seen anything like it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely amazing! How clever you are!! I just can't get over how beautiful these are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in LOVE with these!!!! I love things that are pieced together like this - from old seemingly useless stuff.
    Thank you for all the wonderful pictures! So creative:)
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love these! I know you don't recommend for outside but I have a horrible fence that I stare out at from my kitchen table and I am going to put a few of these that are sealed with deck sealant. They might not last forever but I would be overjoyed just to distract from the horrible fence. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Stephanie at Full of Great Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I can't wait to try this! I promise to link back

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucy, this is such a great idea! I love how you turned table legs and fan blades into dragonflies! I never would have thought to do that. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many creative ideas, so inspiring. I am passing along a Stylish Blogger Award to you! Stop by to see my latest post for details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a creative idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally in love! New follower for sure!
    Jerri
    Www.thrownandfired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. geniales las libelulas!!!!
    las amoooo
    margui

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun are these! Now I want to make some! I'm kicking myself because I just donated an old fan. I could of used those blades. I'll be on the lookout at garage sales now. :) Great job!! Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!!! Lucy those are soooo cute.

    ~ Lorena ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are fantastic! I love your ability to look at a pile of "trash" and see eyes and antennas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for letting me know they can be used outside. I am going to make these as Mother's Day gifts for my mom and aunt. So excited..thanks!

    I am just finishing one month of no spending on crafts/decor and am hosting my first link party to showcase mine and others ideas. If you have anything that you used on hand materials I would love for you to share them this Friday. Hope to see you!
    Stephanie at Full of Great Ideas
    Full of Great Ideas $0 Craft/Décor Budget Party

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks lovely. Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is soooo clever, i love them they are gorgeous I want some for my garden

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am here from Under the Table and LOVE these! They are so clever and whimsical! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is a store in Baltimore that makes furniture and accessories out of salvaged material. They had dragonflies just like yours, except they painted them in bright colors, hanging on the walls in their shop. I loved them!! Thanks for posting your Dragonflies, I can't wait to try to make a few of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Visiting from Funky Junk Interiors. LOVE The dragonflies!!!
    So excited about them I may have to attempt to make one of my own... hope you don't mind.

    Cherie
    http://dragonfliezcreationz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I featured your dragonflies on my blog today. Come grab and I'm featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are so fabulous! I love them,you are such an artist! Connie
    http://thecrafterbug.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are adorable. Oh yes, I get so excited when someone gives me something or I find something that's not easy to come by. You had a new stash of parts and just had to build more dragonflies; I get it! Love what you did with the eyes. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've got a real hit here! I love these - hope I can get a couple made up to dress up my garden area soon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! These are AMAZING! I love them ~ and not just because I'm partial to dragonflies! Thank you so much for sharing ~ please stop by and say hi sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You could use outdoor decking stain or paint if keeping out in the full force of the weather. Love the idea. Have a friend whose son loves dragonflies - it's his thing to give as a present for teachers etc. Cathy from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  34. hiya , i'm visiting from catch as catch can and am your newest follower x wow what a fabulous project i love them and thanks for the detailed tutorial too , you are very talented x tfs ,
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love them all, these are amazing! I'm like you, a box of parts is enough to make my heart skip!
    I followed your link from Gail's Catch as catch can party.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a fabulous idea and I love that you used fan blades! I am going to have to show you off somehow soon. I invite you to my blog to see my 'crappy' birdhouses. Maybe you'll find a new use for nuts and bolts for your designs.
    -Bethanie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ok. Me again. I had to tweet and FB you!
    I was thinking...can you cut them in half, like the thicker ones? Less weight and more $ , or does it compromise stability then?
    -Bethanie

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love, love, love, LOVE these!!
    Midge

    ReplyDelete
  39. Are you selling these? They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! I would have never thought of making dragon flies! You're so creative! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  41. LOVE them!! How creative you are. Would love to have a couple of these for my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just found your blog. Very creative. Cannot wait to look through all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  43. another new comer love your dragon flies!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is probably one of the most clever ideas I have ever seen and believe me I have seen alot. I live near one of the biggest flea markets in the USA and have seen anything from flyswatters to toilet lids decorated! How many times do we see ceiling fan blades and wonder what we can do with them? Such a great recycling idea too! Just love it. I may have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  45. These dragonflies are just amazing! I am truly inpired by the design, the work you put in and the repurposing! Amazing! I have featured themm over at Extreme Personal Measures. I also made note of your shop!

    Denise
    Extreme Personal Measures

    ReplyDelete
  46. OMGosh! I'm so in love with this! I have to make some for my mom! Thank you so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love these! how awesome. I have so many "parts" I could make tons of these!
    thanks for linking up.
    "catching" you this week
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  48. My heart just skipped a beat when I saw these!! Great job repurposing! These are insanely cute and fun and funky!!! love them!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh my goodness! You must have been so giddy in planning these, and finding the perfect wings! And then eyes, and then antennae! such a fun and creative process. Fabulous outcome. :) (Wow, I wrote a lot... guess it was exciting for me too.)
    Popped over from Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Absolutely wonderful! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Very creative!
    Beautiful!
    Awesome job!

    Visiting from My Repurposed Life.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Found you through Gail at My Repurposed Life. These are absolutely fantastic! Trying to figure out how to find those bits and pieces over here in Sweden! Look forward to 'following' you and peeking at your other projects. Hope you'll check out my blog one fine day when you have a few minutes.
    Cheers.
    Michael
    bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great work keep it coming, best blog on earth

    clomid

    ReplyDelete
  54. Such talent! What great work you do :)

    I have featured you over on my blog and would love for you to stop by!

    Amanda

    Frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love your dragonflies, they are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  56. These are so cool! My mother would love one of these for Mother's Day. Thank you for sharing.


    Blog giveaway for three antique blue half gallon mason jars at www.theoldblockhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. Was looking for a project the hang on the shed walls. And this might be it. Now to find the parts! What a perfect excuse to go yard sale-ing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. süperr...hem yaratıcı hem şık hem çok güzel.bravo

    ReplyDelete
  59. GENIUS! Love all the upcycled items you used! Totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Oh my goodness. You are SO creative! LOVE this!! SO fun!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Oh, these are CLEVER! What a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Your dragonflies look great. They brighten up a plain old fence.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I just love this idea! Amazing. And I pinned it!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  64. What a wonderful way to upcycle these parts. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  65. You are such an inspiration Lucy!!! I so loved your dragonfly work that I had to try one for myself. I now have ten and sold my first one today! Thank you so much for sharing your passion with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Been wanting a monster sized dragonfly on my back fence, but wasn't too sure how to put it all together. I think I figured it all out now with different types of recycle materials. Thanks for some great up coming ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Been wanting a monster sized dragonfly on my back fence, but wasn't too sure how to put it all together. I think I figured it all out now with different types of recycle materials. Thanks for some great up coming ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Lucy, I have been wanting to use a porch baluster for the body/tail section mostly because of the really thin point of the tail area. The square mounting area is only about an inch and three quarters so regular fan blades are too large. Got any suggestions on what to use?

    ReplyDelete
  69. I am so excited...I scored fan blades from five old fans on the side of the rd today !!! I finally get to use my little sample cans of paints and put several of these great dragonflys together in time for summer ! Yippee ! Thank you for sharing this lovely craft design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. That's awesome Dee! Glad you were inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  71. WOW!!! What a fabulous idea. I just share it with my son and told him to start collecting.... I AM going to have dragon flies. Thanks for sharing this project with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  72. These are so pretty! Great inspiration for all those "bits" hanging around to make beautiful art. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love dragonflies and they have been my personal totem since I was diagnosed with breast cancer 15 years ago. I learned that they can still fly with on ly one wing! I loved the story about them! Thanks for inspiring me to create my own someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  74. What a great idea. I love dragonflies.I am a terriblel pack rat so already have these things, How did you attach the wings? Are they screwed on after being drilled? I must make a couple for my plain , dreary garden shed which faces the road. Thanks a million. Promise I will do my own thing. Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  75. As I was laying in bed the other night looking at the ceiling fan and wondering what I could make out of the blades, I never thought about dragon flies. Now I have a wonderful idea. And don't worry, I may co-op an idea, but never a direct design.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hauled a ceiling fan home today from someone's yard! LOL! All to just needing the blades for a dragonfly!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Thanks for coming up with this idea. I first starting making them about 5 years ago. I ran a consignment shop and got over run with fans, it seemed they were losing popularity. I started making the blades into fishes, but once I started making dragon flies, I could not keep up. I always have a few flying around the front door. Fast,Fun, Whimsical. Using found objects, it seems no two are ever alike.

    ReplyDelete

I've moved to Lucydesignsart.com to focus on my mosaic art. I'm no longer creating dragonflies or mermaids.

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips