March 12, 2011

Geek to Goddess Clay Bust Statue Makeover with Shells

clay goddess bust with shells
Goddess version.

Just a few hot glue gun burns, shells and paint
and this lady has had a makeover.

female bust makeover diy
Here is how she started, she's.... um... a very handsome woman?

Someone gave her to me, they were going to throw her away,
she's made out of some sort of clay...very heavy.

I was envisioning giving her a little makeover, or at the very least,
 hide the fact that her bangs are way too short

air dry clay
I've never worked with clay but knew I needed something
clay-like to help make her over and found this air dry clay at Michael's.

I used it to cover her eyes and make them look closed 
and also plumped up her lips a little too.

I also used it as the first layer to apply the shells but after it dried overnight,
 there were spots where it didn't adhere very well 
and I ended up using hot glue to reattach the loose spots and add more shells.

clay goddess makeover statue
Here she is after I closed her eyes and started to glue more shells. 
 I live at the beach and using beautiful Florida seashells that 
I've collected or have been given to me over the years.

Sea goddess with shells statue
She's all decked out with shells and ready for the next step.

clay bust statue makeover
I'm going for a weathered concrete look so I sprayed her with white primer
 then gray spray paint. 
In this photo, I had already started dry brushing her with white paint
after the spray paint had dried.
VERY dry brush, over the whole piece. and then she was done.

clay goddess statue with shells
Side view...
I took her outside to get some pics but since hot glue was used, she 
is not recommended for outdoor use,

Goddess bust with shells diy makeover Lucy Designs
Her 'do in the back

clay statue makeover diy
Other side...

dry brushed concrete look shells
Top view.

clay female bust makeover diy
I would like to think she's happy with her makeover.

diy bust with shells and clay
I think she looks very serene...maybe a little Buddha-esque.

This one of a kind piece is sold.

Thanks for looking! 
You can also find me on Facebook,  Pinterest


13 comments:

  1. Wow, I never would've thought to do that with shells! Cool idea!

    Came over from TT&J!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, this is beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! How creative and unique is your idea!
    Thanks for sharing.
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an amazing idea. I love it.

    (and I do hate you for living at the beach!)

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks fantastic!! And I promise not to hate you for living at the beach...that is as long as I get an invitation to visit ! LOL! Love the new look on her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing transformation, love the eyes, love your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is totally cute..i like this idea,very creative..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your mind works. Your projects never fail to amaze me. How DO you think of this stuff. Love it. Thanks for sharing it on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am in LOVE with your blog! You have the best ideas. I love this one.

    Sammy~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy - I've been wandering around your blog for an hour now! I like the way your mind works in regards to mosaics. I'm much the same...see mosaics in so many different forms. If you get a sec, check out my mosaic button mirror at http://bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com/2011/03/crazy-about-mosaics.html
    My blog is new, so I don't have many projects up yet...was a procrastinating blogger for the past 2 years! But now I'm up and going. I have a never-ending mosaic link-up at the bottom of the post I mention above. I hope you'll link up your Goddess there.
    Cheers.
    Michael
    bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm posting about this on DecorHacks.com on May 1. I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative, she looks lovely, and she would look fantastic sitting in your garden!

    ReplyDelete

I've moved to Lucydesignsart.com to focus on my mosaic art. I'm no longer creating dragonflies or mermaids.

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips