October 3, 2011

Metal Garage Door Makeover Before and After

painted metal garage door bronze makeover
I just completed this garage door for a client.
She wanted the same bronze finish that I used on the door and urns 

garage door before and after paint makeover
The before...
She had recently had it pressure washed so I wiped the whole thing down
with water. You may want to wash your door with soap and water.

painting a metal garage door
I added a warm brown base coat in exterior semigloss paint using a paint roller and brush.

adding a bronze finish to metal garage door
I let the paint dry overnight and came back the next morning.
Working in small sections, I rolled on thinned (with water) exterior black paint 
then immediately wiped off the excess. I say immediately because it was a 
hot day and the paint was drying fast so I had to work quickly.

painted hands!
....the black hand...
I forgot my gloves and didn't want to stop and go back home to get them.😝

garage door makeover before and after
After the black wash was dry, which didn't take long in my case. 
After I had finished adding the black, I was able to start on the next step
starting where I had started the black because it was completely dry.

Working in sections, I dry brushed Martha Stewart Metallic Bronze over the black. 
To "dry brush", dip the tip of your brush in the paint and wipe off all the excess leaving only the tiniest bit of paint on the brush and use a light hand to apply. 
You will get in the groove and see what works and can add more or less to your liking.

I was working on the door after the sun wasn't shining on it directly but the metal was
still warm from the sun so all my coats of paint dried super quickly.
In the case of the metallic dry brushing, it was instantaneous, so start light, 
you can always add more.

After the metallic coat, I dry brushed a little more of the black paint over the entire door
to help highlight the texture in the door.

metal garage door makeover
Hard to capture, the color but it looks sooo good in person!

garage door before and after
Painted garage door before and after.

When the door was complete, she had me spruce up up all the outdoor 
light fixtures. I used the same paints and process for all the lights. 

outdoor light fixture makeover
These are on either side of the garage

outdoor light fixture makeover
And these are on either side of the front door.
And now I will go take my legs that have been up and down ladders for the past three days
 and soak them, massage them, and rest them! lol
Thanks so much for checking out my garage door makeover!

Visit my new online store featuring mosaic art and coastal style ornaments. 
Find me on FacebookPinterest, InstagramYoutube

4 comments:

  1. Nice work! Need you over here in Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty,, you have been very busy, I bet you are worn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great. You put a lot of work (and layers) into these doors but they do look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I've moved to Lucydesignsart.com to focus on my mosaic art. I'm no longer creating dragonflies or mermaids.

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips