February 29, 2012

Rustic Recycled Garden Signs, DIY

Garden theme sign
My Mom asked for a couple of garden theme signs for her 
sunporch and this is what I came up with...

hand painted sign
For the "Harvest Thyme" sign, I started with a scrap piece of wood
that I painted and antiqued.

For the lettering, I lightly draw the letter placement with chalk 
then freehand the letters with paint.When the paint is dry, 
I wipe off remaining chalk with a damp cloth

metal brick ties art
To jazz it up, I used brick ties that I had on hand.  

art sign recycled
I curled the ends using needle nose pliers, added fun beads and wire and 
then wired to the bottom of the sign by drilling small holes and threading
the wire through.

vintage door plate on garden sign
To add a little interest to the top of the sign, I used this vintage door knob plate
 and screwed into the top.

hand painted garden sign
I added a hanging wire and this one was good to go.

For the second sign, I used more scrap lumber and 
attached them together using metal mending plates.

I had these flower knobs and a wooden flower piece in my stash of
odds and ends and decided to incorporate them somehow.

hand painting letters on a sign
I used the same process with the paint, antiquing and lettering...

garden sign
I ended up drilling holes to accommodate the
flower knob "stems", then glued into place.

I layered these two flowers and sanded and distressed them.
It was pure luck that the colors were already just fine for this piece!

garden sign, gardening tills the soul
I added a hanging wire and it was done.

Oh, and I added a few painted vines on there as well.
Hope you enjoyed this quick project!

Visit my new website at LucyDesignsArt.com
featuring my mosaic art and coastal ornaments or connect with me 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've moved to Lucydesignsart.com to focus on my mosaic art. I'm no longer creating dragonflies or mermaids.

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips