December 18, 2010

DIY Tomato Cage and Garland Topiary Christmas Trees

diy tomato cage Christmas topiaries
I don't actually have a legitimate tutorial for these trees because I made them a 
couple of years ago but they are super simple to create.
Ready...?

wire tomato cage into Christmas tree
Grab a wire tomato cage, you may even have one if you garden...

tomato cage Christmas topiary tree
Turn tomato cage upside down and wrap with wired garland,
securing with green zip ties or wire as you go to keep it in place.
Done!

tomato cage Christmas topiary trees
I already had these big iron planters at my front door so 
I set my trees in them. They had a lip around the inside edge
and the trees actually fit securely.

tomato cage christmas tree topiary
I was going for a simple lighted tree shape but you could 
also add ornaments, pine cones, floral picks or ribbon.

Christmas porch with tomato cage topiary trees
I've gotten some emails about my door color.
It is Glidden exterior paint from Home Depot.
The color is "City Bistro" 10YR08/187

sparkly Christmas wreath with peace sign
To finish off my porch, I added a sparkly wreath with a "Peace" sign.
Not to be confused with my actual Peace Wreath.

diy christmas topiary from tomato cage
Merry Christmas!

UPDATE Christmas 2016!...

topiaries from tomato cage
I wrote this original post in 2010 but had actually created the trees 
a couple of years before that. Here we are in 2016
and I still use my topiary trees!

topiary from tomato cage
I have them set in a pair of urns I have and they just happen to fit
perfectly without any additional support.
 It is the same urn I use for my Fall pumpkin topiary.

DIY Christmas tree in urn planter
 I dressed them up this year with pinecones, berries and red mesh garland.

Christmas topiary from tomato cage
They look great day or night 

DIY Christmas tree topiary
Thanks for visiting and reading about my tomato cage topiaries,
wishing you a joyous holiday season!

Pop over to my Etsy shop to see what's new or 

13 comments:

  1. Great idea and I bet easy too ... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tomato cage trees. They are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...great idea to get rid of those ugly tomato cages still sitting in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're lovely! great idea, i bet it would look gorgeous with boxwood too! Saw them over at Under the Table, nice to discover your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice idea :))
    Stopping by via Sunday Showcase~~~

    Have a blessed Christmas...your house looks beautifully adorned for the holidays!

    Kay Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this idea! your tomato cage Christmas trees turned out great!

    i also love your sparkly wreath. where did you find it? or, did you make that, also?

    ReplyDelete
  7. can u please write down exactly what u did i would like to make these as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been making these for several years. I change them up each year to fit the colors/theme of the year. So easy and so versatile. I have even grown English Ivy in large clay pots and trained it to fill in the cage frames.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any suggestions for where to get inexpensive evergreen garland?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sons are putting the tree up now while the weather stays so nice. I had 8' of garland and it is not quite enough. Thanks for a great idea and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sons are putting the lights on the tree now. Looks so cute and a great project. I suggest at least ten feet of garland. I bought 8' and it doesn't quite cover it entirely. Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visting via Pinterest. Thanks for the idea! Can I ask how you secured them in the pot? I bought some 16" square planters I want to change out with the seasons, and need some way to prop these trees up in them.

    ReplyDelete

I've moved to Lucydesignsart.com to focus on my mosaic art. I'm no longer creating dragonflies or mermaids.

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips