March 14, 2011

Use Flour and Water for Weathered Concrete Faux Finish


weathered plaster pedestal with flour faux finish
Here's a little plaster table/plant stand I just finished.

plaster pedestal
It started plain like this, someone gave it to me.

I forgot to take pictures of the first couple of steps but to start,
I took watered down dark gray paint and brushed it on the whole piece.  
The plaster soaked it right up.
Then I dry brushed it with off-white paint....

faux finish using flour and water diy
Next, get a bit of flour (yes, flour) and a spray bottle of water.
You can see the "before" look of the pedestal in the background.

faux finish using flour
Sprinkle the flour on randomly. 
In some areas, I rubbed it in with my hands to spread it out.
Mist lightly with water and let dry.

how to use flour for aged concrete look
It's the same concept as using flour and water when making paper mache 
that dries hard. In the picture above, the flour is dry and I'm about to go to the next step.

Take a large, stiff paint brush, and brush the excess flour off. 
The flour that is going to stick is not going to budge and the excess brushes off.
And that's it....you've created weathered concrete.

use flour for aged effect
It may be hard to tell but it really adds some cool texture.
It looks like it has been sitting outside for a long time and has a nice weathered patina.

flour water and paint for weathered pitted look


flour and paint for aged effect
You can see where the flour is dried into some of the crevices.

use flour and paint for weathered aged look
Indoor use only, this one of a kind piece has sold.

Thanks for looking!

Join me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest
or stop by my Etsy shop

6 comments:

  1. A-MAZ-ing... Where do you come up with things like sprinkling flour and squirting with water...to create the look of weathered concrete ~ Who Knew!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that is really cool,, i've done paper mache before but never would've thought of this.. it looks great. beautiful blooms too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, love it. A great time to be thinking yard art. I'm inspired. Thanks for sharing this on Motivated Monday
    Pam @ BeColorful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very cool!
    Who knew?? Thanks for sharing the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work here. I love what you have done. Fantastic art using flour on concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect decoration for a house. This table resembles just like a Greek architecture. I'd like to make my own design too. Perhaps I can make a chair.

    ReplyDelete

I've moved to Lucydesignsart.com to focus on my mosaic art. I'm no longer creating dragonflies or mermaids.

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips