October 3, 2010

DIY Dollar Store Fall Halloween Decor ~ Studded Decorative Pumpkins using Thumbtacks


diy dollar store pumpkin decor
Studded pumpkins from the Dollar Store

dollar store pumpkin decor
I bought these little pumpkins at the Dollar Store and also a box of gold thumbtacks


diy studded dollar store pumpkins
I used spray primer and ivory spray paint on the pumpkins,
 then brushed on watered down brown paint and wiped off to give them an antiqued look


diy dollar store Halloween decor
I bought thumbtacks too... bright, shiny, gold thumbtacks. 
But... I wanted a more antiqued look.
  
 I emptied about half of the tacks out of their container and used spray paint, bronze I think, 
to spray some shots into the box, closed it and shook 'em up.  
I dumped them out on a plate to dry, took about 2 minutes.... and did the same with the rest of the tacks.

As luck would have it, while I was on the second batch, I accidentally picked up the ivory spray paint that I used for the pumpkins....oops. 
 But in the end, it was fine and actually gave me more variation. 

I love thumbtacks... click the "thumbtack" category to see other ways I use them.

glam studded halloween dollar store pumpkins
Then I stuck my bronzey, brassy, tacks in patterns on the pumpkins

dollar store Halloween pumpkins with thumbtack studs
I didn't use glue to secure them, the fit seemed pretty tight.

striped pumpkin topiary
Check out my latest Halloween/Fall creation,

dollar store halloween diy makeover
Happy Halloween!

Visit my new online store for coastal and nature themed mosaic art, and
coastal ornaments. 
Find me on FacebookPinterest, InstagramYoutube
Cheers!
~Lucy

16 comments:

  1. Girl, you're on fire! Love these too. I'm following so I don't miss anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, these are too much, how stinking cute. I just got some from ther dollar store the other day, hello, this is too cute. Please link these too, and shoot, from the looks of things, you are on a roll, you have TONS of cute projects, so don't be shy, come and link up, the more the merrier. Thanks girl, :) Bella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bella, if you aren't the sweetest thing!! I've been reading all of your sweet comments this morning and you've made my day, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, I am more than thrilled that you linked up all these fun projects. I practically begged you for each one, lol, THANK YOU so much for giving in to my demands. I LOVE you blog, and your projects are AMAZING!!!! Bella :) **6 weeks 2 Spook** party going on until Halloween.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with these, how creative! Pop on over to my blog and see what ideas I have for Halloween!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. pop I did Megan, and you now have a new follower....I love your blog, esp the header pic! I tracked it down on your blog to your laundry room...LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great!! I am going to link up to them at Dollar Store Crafts... but it might be a week or so until it posts. :) I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a darling way to decorate with tacks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lucy I'll be featuring these today! Fantastic painting technique - looks great! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it! Hope you had a wonderful weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I {love} these!!! They turned out so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you all so much! Heather and Stephanie Lynn, thank you so much for featuring me on your sites!! This is so exciting for me!...fairly new blogger here LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these - they turned out great!

    Submit them in my Handmade Halloween Contest starting October 15th.

    Susan,
    http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
    Party and Entertaining Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW these are awesome!!! I'm your newest follower and I'm hoping you'll swing by SewWoodsy.blogspot.com for my first ever link party today! This would be a fantastic project to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these! What a great idea! And I love the dollar store, so you really have me sold! You should enter them in my sister's "DIY Halloween Contest". She's giving away great prizes! Here's the link to her contest: http://ellekate.blogspot.com/p/diy-contest.ht

    ReplyDelete

I've moved to Lucydesignsart.com to focus on my mosaic art. I'm no longer creating dragonflies or mermaids.

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips